Consolidated List of Boberg Compatible 9mm Ammunition

Boberg's patented loading design is great for us and helps us by squeezing a longer barrel into a smaller package but some ammo that isn't manufactured up to specs may cause problems.  I don't consider this a flaw of the gun but rather a flaw in the ammo - You can't expect to put cheap tires on a Ferrari and still expect it to go 0 to 60 in 3 seconds.

 

The problem has been separation of the bullet from the casing because of inadequate crimping by the bullet manufacturer (remember most guns PUSH the next round into the barrel and thus don't have problems with bad crimps. The Boberg PULLS then PUSHES the next round into place.)  Plated ammunition is generally not able to be crimped very well.  The lead is too soft for the case mouth to get any decent tension on the bullet.  Full metal jacket or hollowpoint ammo, however, had a solid foundation for the case mouth to create tension during crimping.

 

I will update the list as people post more of their experiences - please try to be as specific as possible regarding Manufacturer, model, grain, FMJ/JHP, flat/round nose, etc.  All manufacturers are constantly updating manufacturing procedures when they identify deficiencies.  For failed ammo, if you can identify roughly when ammo was purchased, this info will be posted so as to not permanently blacklist any particular brand/model of ammo.  For me, however, I personally would not want to carry any ammo with questionable reliability in my gun as my life may depend on it in the future.

 

So from the posts I've seen so far and squinting at hard to read pics of boxes, here is the current list.  I have chosen to put all ammo with any reproducible issues in the incompatible list but some of these may still usable for practice or with swapping the trigger spring for a heavier one.  I would personally avoid regularly shooting ammo that separates because it is a pain to clean out and the loose gunpowder flies right into your face.  Regarding separation malfunctions, Arne is working on a 4.2" barrel that significantly reduces separations in case you want to use a particular ammo that has light crimps.

Disclaimer: Boberg Arms does not officially recommend any type of ammunition, nor does it guarantee the performance of any particular type of ammunition since we do not control the manufacturing of ammunition.  We highly recommend that you test-fire ammunition at the range before carrying it for self-defense.

 

Known Incompatible:

Atlanta Arms - any of their ammo (according to them)

Aguila 124gr FMJ (reported to jam 5-10% of the time, 1 hard primer report)

Bitterroot Valley Ammunition (BVAC reloads) 115gr (2 separations in 150 rounds)

Blazer Brass (5 separations in 6 magazines)

Black Hills +P 115gr (can be over-crimped - little case mouth for magazine to register on)

Blazer Aluminum Case (2 separations in 9 shots)

CorBon +P 115gr, 125gr JHP (separations and stovepipes)

Estate (possibly made in same factory as Federal Champion) (separations)

Federal Champion (separations in batches prior to summer of 2010 as well as 1/12)

Federal Range and Target 115gr FMJmultiple separations reported

Glaser (Dakota) reportedly crimps all their ammo subpar but note report below of specific grain compatibility

Hornady 125gr HAP (2 bullet shift/FTF in 21 rounds, improved after break-in)

Independence 115gr FMJ (2 separations in 2 magazines)

Independence 124gr FMJ (1 separation in a case of 50)

MagTech Guardian gold 115gr jhp that separated 1 in 7 times.

MFS Russian Zinc Plated Steel Case 115gr (extra rounds ejected)

Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP(bullet shift reported)

Sellier and Bellot 115gr and 124gr (Hard Primers but works well with 7.5lb trigger spring or stronger, 1 reported FTF with fully loaded mag)

Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P (1 separation in 85 rounds)

Speer Lawman 115gr, 124gr FMJ (multiple reports of separations, FTF)

Tula Steelcase 115gr (Hard Primers)

Winchester Silver Tips 115gr (1 separation malfunction in a case of 50)
Winchester SXZ9 115gr JHP (FTF)

 

Known Compatible:

Aguila

     115gr FMJ

American Eagle

     115gr and 124gr (1 FTE reported) and 147gr FMJ

     Flat Point 115gr and 147gr FMJ

Black Hills

     115gr +P - see possible over crimp issue above

     124gr JHP

     124gr +P

     Subsonic 147gr JHP

Brown Bear

     115gr FMJ

Buffalo Bore

     +P 147gr

Corbon

     +P 90gr

     PowR Ball +P 100gr

     +P 115gr DPX

Federal

     Classic Hi Shok 115gr JHP (3 separations from an old 1990's batch)

     Guard Dog 105gr EFMJ

     Premium HST +P 124gr

     Premium Hydra-Shok 124 gr, 147gr JHP, 147gr +P

     Premium Personal Defense Hydra-Shok JHP 124gr, 135gr and 147gr

     Range and Target 115gr FMJ

Fiocci

     147gr JHP

     115gr FMJ

Georgia Arms

     "Canned Heat" 115gr FMJ

Glaser

     Pow'rBall 100gr +P JHP

Hirtenberger

     100gr JSP

Hornady

     Critical Defense 115gr FTX JHP

     Critical Duty 135gr +P

     TAP FPD 124gr and 147gr

     XTP 115gr

Liberty Ammunition

     Ultra Defense/USM4 50gr +P Fragmenting HP

Magtech

     147gr Flat FMC

     115gr FMJ

     First Defense 92.6gr Solid Copper Hollow Point

     Guardian Gold 115gr +P JHP

On Target

     115gr FMJ

PMC

     115gr JHP

     Bronze 115gr, 124gr FMJ

     124gr FMJ

ProLoad

     +P 124gr JHP

Prvi Partizan

     158gr FMJ

RBCD

     Performance Plus Platinum 60gr Total Fragmenting Soft Point

Remington

     Golden Saber 124gr JHP

     Golden Saber Bonded 124gr +P

     UMC 115gr MC and 124gr MC

     UMC Leadless 124gr and 147gr

     UMC Target 115gr MC and 124gr MC (1 report of FTF 10 rounds in 50)

RWS

     85gr Copper Matrix NTF

     124gr RN

Speer

     Gold Dot 124gr JHP or 147gr

     Gold Dot +P 147gr JHP

     Gold Dot GDHP 124gr    

     Gold Dot Short Barrel 124gr GDHP

 

Tulammo

     115gr Polymer-coated Steel Case FMJ (steel casing not recommended during break-in) 

 

Underwood

    115gr +P+ reported compatible but beware theoretical wear issues

 

Winchester:

     NATO 124gr, 147gr FMJ

     PDX1 Defender Bonded 124gr JHP +P (Partial separations reported - bullet shift prior to firing), 147gr OK

     Personal Protection 115gr and 147gr JHP

     Ranger 124gr, 127 +P

     Ranger Bonded 124gr +P

     SXT HP

     White Box 115gr and 124gr Bulk FMJ 
     

Wolf

     115gr FMJ

     Gold

 

 

Views: 63451

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hornady 115gr XTP is compatible

I would say Speer Lawman FMJ is NOT compatible. I had 2 bullet/brass separations in a single 50 round box. 

Rats!  I just ordered 250 rounds of Speer Lawman FMJ for practice.  Jason, were you using 115, 124, or 147gr in the Lawman?  Also, would be curious to know which round in the firing sequence failed?  Thanks for the info...bummer though. 

 

Jason Joice said:

I would say Speer Lawman FMJ is NOT compatible. I had 2 bullet/brass separations in a single 50 round box. 

So with more Bobergs in people's hands, it seems as if poor crimps are starting to pop up among certain types of ammo.  A quick search shows this knowledgeable post on thefirearmsforum.com:

Guns that treat the ammunition in the gun violently, through heavy recoil or rough handling during chambering, need a good crimp. Guns that hold the ammo in a loading tube in the gun, end to end, need a good crimp. Typically all semi-auto guns, most lever guns, and pump guns need a crimp. There may be others but the test is the above where the results of poor bullet retention can end up with either the bullet falling out of the cartridge case in the gun or being pushed into the case. While both situations are not good, the latter can be dangerous as the pressures rise as the receding bullet reduces the volume in the case. It is a definite safety issue with either case. It never hurts to crimp a bullet into a cartridge case but it has to be done the correct way.

 

This poster points out the bad aspects of the bullet being too far out of the case or too far into the case. I guess I never though about poorly crimped bullets changing their position in a cartridge due to rough handling or strong recoil.  This would also account for varying dimensions of bullets within a case - if the bullet is not uniformly seated in the cartridge due to a bad crimp or just sloppy assembly - the shooter would get inconsistency on bullet velocity and accuracy (I recall some other poster commenting on varying bullet lengths in a case of ammo).

 

Do any reloaders here have any experience with tools to recrimp factory ammo in case we carry around a magazine that we want to know 100% will go "bang" if necessary?  Or.... are we just asking for trouble to try and recrimp ammo with the chance that we'll deform the cartridge and cause more jams?

I've tried out 100 rounds of Corbon +P 115gr DPX and they fed and fired great

Good to hear!! That's my round of choice. And at 32$ for 20 rounds they're not exactly the cheapest round to test!

I saw in the photo of test ammo boxes that Arne has posted a box of Speer Lawman 124gr FMJ. 

 I'd be interested to know if Arne has had issues with this particular ammo type during testing.  Of interest here is this claim from Speer regarding the intergrity of this product: "Uni cor construction  virtually eliminates core/jacket separation, the main reason for bullet failure  with conventional cup and core bullets."  Hmmm...maybe not so much? 

 I've done a lot of reading on the various forums on Speer particulary on the Gold Dot 124gr +P and the Lawman and have never read anything negative.  I don't have personal experience with either, but up until now I had pretty high expectations.  Hopefully, Jason's experience was just a fluke.

Have any other current XR9 owners had bad experiences with Speer?

Jason Joice said:

I would say Speer Lawman FMJ is NOT compatible. I had 2 bullet/brass separations in a single 50 round box. 

I too was surprised that someone had a problem with Speer Lawman.  Speer tends to have a good reputation and they can command a higher price because of it.  Keep in mind that Lawman is Speer's "value" model and they must cut some corners to make it cheaper.   I am not aware of any other mainstream 9mm gun that uses the unique Boberg feed mechanism so if Lawman's crimp was always a problem, I don't see how it would have become obvious.

 

The quote you listed about uni cor construction doesn't apply to this bullet/casing separation due to weak crimp.  That statement refers to the lead core and copper jacket separation that can occur within the bullet tip itself.

 

Conan

Kirk F. Davis said:

I saw in the photo of test ammo boxes that Arne has posted a box of Speer Lawman 124gr FMJ. 

 I'd be interested to know if Arne has had issues with this particular ammo type during testing.  Of interest here is this claim from Speer regarding the intergrity of this product: "Uni cor construction  virtually eliminates core/jacket separation, the main reason for bullet failure  with conventional cup and core bullets."  Hmmm...maybe not so much? 

 I've done a lot of reading on the various forums on Speer particulary on the Gold Dot 124gr +P and the Lawman and have never read anything negative.  I don't have personal experience with either, but up until now I had pretty high expectations.  Hopefully, Jason's experience was just a fluke.

Have any other current XR9 owners had bad experiences with Speer?

Jason Joice said:

I would say Speer Lawman FMJ is NOT compatible. I had 2 bullet/brass separations in a single 50 round box. 

Thanks for the clarification on that quote Conan.  I would still be interested to know if Arne experienced the same problem when he tested the Speer 124gr Lawman FMJ.

Brokedoc said:

I too was surprised that someone had a problem with Speer Lawman.  Speer tends to have a good reputation and they can command a higher price because of it.  Keep in mind that Lawman is Speer's "value" model and they must cut some corners to make it cheaper.   I am not aware of any other mainstream 9mm gun that uses the unique Boberg feed mechanism so if Lawman's crimp was always a problem, I don't see how it would have become obvious.

 

The quote you listed about uni cor construction doesn't apply to this bullet/casing separation due to weak crimp.  That statement refers to the lead core and copper jacket separation that can occur within the bullet tip itself.

 

Conan

Kirk F. Davis said:

I saw in the photo of test ammo boxes that Arne has posted a box of Speer Lawman 124gr FMJ. 

 I'd be interested to know if Arne has had issues with this particular ammo type during testing.  Of interest here is this claim from Speer regarding the intergrity of this product: "Uni cor construction  virtually eliminates core/jacket separation, the main reason for bullet failure  with conventional cup and core bullets."  Hmmm...maybe not so much? 

 I've done a lot of reading on the various forums on Speer particulary on the Gold Dot 124gr +P and the Lawman and have never read anything negative.  I don't have personal experience with either, but up until now I had pretty high expectations.  Hopefully, Jason's experience was just a fluke.

Have any other current XR9 owners had bad experiences with Speer?

Jason Joice said:

I would say Speer Lawman FMJ is NOT compatible. I had 2 bullet/brass separations in a single 50 round box. 

Actually, I did have a separation with Speer Lawman about a year ago.  I had since made some improvements in softening the rearward acceleration and had forgotten about it.  Also, I believe I had thought it to be an anomaly in their QC.  Now I'm thinking that this is Speer's equivalent to Federal Champion.

I have had 3 separations with Federal Hi Shok 115 HP's.  This is older ammo (late 90's), so it isn't representative of the current manufacture.  The cases have no visible taper crimp.



Brokedoc said:

Do any reloaders here have any experience with tools to recrimp factory ammo in case we carry around a magazine that we want to know 100% will go "bang" if necessary?  Or.... are we just asking for trouble to try and recrimp ammo with the chance that we'll deform the cartridge and cause more jams?

 

GONRA suggests using the Lee Factory Crimp die - very carefully setup to robustly crimp the bullet.

Always run 9mm and .45 ACP ammo (using pickedup cartridge cases from local range) loaded on a Dillon press thru the Lee die to ensure free chambering in many modern pistols, SMG's  out there.

Am sure Lee Factory Crimp die will doit with factory ammo too.  Have Fun!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MOST XR9 ORDERS SHIP WITHIN 2 WEEKS!

The Bond Arms Bullpup Coming soon!

Latest Activity

genji posted discussions
Jul 24

© 2017   Created by Blaine Glynn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service