Consolidated List of Boberg Compatible 9mm Ammunition

Boberg's patented loading design is great for us and helps us by squeezing a longer barrel into a smaller package but some ammo that isn't manufactured up to specs may cause problems.  I don't consider this a flaw of the gun but rather a flaw in the ammo - You can't expect to put cheap tires on a Ferrari and still expect it to go 0 to 60 in 3 seconds.

The problem has been separation of the bullet from the casing because of inadequate crimping by the bullet manufacturer (remember most guns PUSH the next round into the barrel and thus don't have problems with bad crimps. The Boberg PULLS then PUSHES the next round into place.)  Plated ammunition is generally not able to be crimped very well.  The lead is too soft for the case mouth to get any decent tension on the bullet.  Full metal jacket or hollowpoint ammo, however, had a solid foundation for the case mouth to create tension during crimping.

I will update the list as people post more of their experiences - please try to be as specific as possible regarding Manufacturer, model, grain, FMJ/JHP, flat/round nose, etc.  All manufacturers are constantly updating manufacturing procedures when they identify deficiencies.  For failed ammo, if you can identify roughly when ammo was purchased, this info will be posted so as to not permanently blacklist any particular brand/model of ammo.  For me, however, I personally would not want to carry any ammo with questionable reliability in my gun as my life may depend on it in the future.

So from the posts I've seen so far and squinting at hard to read pics of boxes, here is the current list.  I have chosen to put all ammo with any reproducible issues in the incompatible list but some of these may still usable for practice or with swapping the trigger spring for a heavier one.  I would personally avoid regularly shooting ammo that separates because it is a pain to clean out and the loose gunpowder flies right into your face.  Regarding separation malfunctions, Arne is working on a 4.2" barrel that significantly reduces separations in case you want to use a particular ammo that has light crimps.

Disclaimer: Boberg Arms does not officially recommend any type of ammunition, nor does it guarantee the performance of any particular type of ammunition since we do not control the manufacturing of ammunition.  We highly recommend that you test-fire ammunition at the range before carrying it for self-defense.

Known Incompatible:

Atlanta Arms - any of their ammo (according to them)

Aguila 124gr FMJ (reported to jam 5-10% of the time, 1 hard primer report)

Bitterroot Valley Ammunition (BVAC reloads) 115gr (2 separations in 150 rounds)

Blazer Brass (5 separations in 6 magazines)

Black Hills +P 115gr (can be over-crimped - little case mouth for magazine to register on)

Blazer Aluminum Case (2 separations in 9 shots)

CorBon +P 115gr, 125gr JHP (separations and stovepipes)

Estate (possibly made in same factory as Federal Champion) (separations)

Federal Champion (separations in batches prior to summer of 2010 as well as 1/12)

Federal Range and Target 115gr FMJmultiple separations reported

Glaser (Dakota) reportedly crimps all their ammo subpar but note report below of specific grain compatibility

Hornady 125gr HAP (2 bullet shift/FTF in 21 rounds, improved after break-in)

Independence 115gr FMJ (2 separations in 2 magazines)

Independence 124gr FMJ (1 separation in a case of 50)

MagTech Guardian gold 115gr jhp that separated 1 in 7 times.

MFS Russian Zinc Plated Steel Case 115gr (extra rounds ejected)

Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP(bullet shift reported)

Sellier and Bellot 115gr and 124gr (Hard Primers but works well with 7.5lb trigger spring or stronger, 1 reported FTF with fully loaded mag)

Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P (1 separation in 85 rounds)

Speer Lawman 115gr, 124gr FMJ (multiple reports of separations, FTF)

Tula Steelcase 115gr (Hard Primers)

Winchester Silver Tips 115gr (1 separation malfunction in a case of 50)
Winchester SXZ9 115gr JHP (FTF)

Known Compatible:

Aguila

115gr FMJ

American Eagle

115gr and 124gr (1 FTE reported) and 147gr FMJ

Flat Point 115gr and 147gr FMJ

Black Hills

115gr +P - see possible over crimp issue above

124gr JHP

124gr +P

Subsonic 147gr JHP

Brown Bear

115gr FMJ

Buffalo Bore

+P 147gr

Corbon

+P 90gr

PowR Ball +P 100gr

+P 115gr DPX

Federal

Classic Hi Shok 115gr JHP (3 separations from an old 1990's batch)

Guard Dog 105gr EFMJ

Premium HST +P 124gr

Premium Hydra-Shok 124 gr, 147gr JHP, 147gr +P

Premium Personal Defense Hydra-Shok JHP 124gr, 135gr and 147gr

Range and Target 115gr FMJ

Fiocci

147gr JHP

115gr FMJ

Georgia Arms

"Canned Heat" 115gr FMJ

Glaser

Pow'rBall 100gr +P JHP

Hirtenberger

100gr JSP

Hornady

Critical Defense 115gr FTX JHP

Critical Duty 135gr +P

TAP FPD 124gr and 147gr

XTP 115gr

Liberty Ammunition

Ultra Defense/USM4 50gr +P Fragmenting HP

Magtech

147gr Flat FMC

115gr FMJ

First Defense 92.6gr Solid Copper Hollow Point

Guardian Gold 115gr +P JHP

On Target

115gr FMJ

PMC

115gr JHP

Bronze 115gr, 124gr FMJ

124gr FMJ

ProLoad

+P 124gr JHP

Prvi Partizan

158gr FMJ

RBCD

Performance Plus Platinum 60gr Total Fragmenting Soft Point

Remington

Golden Saber 124gr JHP

Golden Saber Bonded 124gr +P

UMC 115gr MC and 124gr MC

UMC Leadless 124gr and 147gr

UMC Target 115gr MC and 124gr MC (1 report of FTF 10 rounds in 50)

RWS

85gr Copper Matrix NTF

124gr RN

Speer

Gold Dot 124gr JHP or 147gr

Gold Dot +P 147gr JHP

Gold Dot GDHP 124gr    

Gold Dot Short Barrel 124gr GDHP

Tulammo

115gr Polymer-coated Steel Case FMJ (steel casing not recommended during break-in) 

Underwood

115gr +P+ reported compatible but beware theoretical wear issues

Winchester:

NATO 124gr, 147gr FMJ

PDX1 Defender Bonded 124gr JHP +P (Partial separations reported - bullet shift prior to firing), 147gr OK

Personal Protection 115gr and 147gr JHP

Ranger 124gr, 127 +P

Ranger Bonded 124gr +P

SXT HP

White Box 115gr and 124gr Bulk FMJ 

Wolf

115gr FMJ

Gold

Views: 64229

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Those of you successfully shooting HST--is it standard pressure or +P?
Standard pressure. Every FBI test I've seen shows + p expands more and penetrates less... Not what you want. FYI I recently ran the Polycase ARX (now ruger) polymer/brass ammo, super light 75 grain and recoil like a .22. I did mags with alternating HST/ARX in same mag. Amazing!!!Ran 100%. Gel test suggest as effective HST which has been my carry load for years after lots of research.

I'm running the MEN PTP +P hollow copper projectile.

They expand on AR500 steel but zip through just about everything else.

Jake Rodriguez said:

Standard pressure. Every FBI test I've seen shows + p expands more and penetrates less... Not what you want. FYI I recently ran the Polycase ARX (now ruger) polymer/brass ammo, super light 75 grain and recoil like a .22. I did mags with alternating HST/ARX in same mag. Amazing!!!Ran 100%. Gel test suggest as effective HST which has been my carry load for years after lots of research.
Attachments:

can you buy the polycase ARX ?

Jake Rodriguez said:

Jake, I agree about the +P penetrating less. I only asked because I wondered whether +P HST cycles better in the shorty than standard HST. I seem to be the only person on the forum having problems with HST in 9mm. I have HST in my P938, but I'll have to find a different round for my shorty. I have 26 rounds of 147gr Ranger T, which I also like, but that's not enough to evaluate in the shorty, and I can't find any more for sale at the moment.

Jake Rodriguez said:
I understand. The Bobergs can be tricky. Each own can be a bit different. This is actually my second one. After about 8 months of problems and multiple returns Arne/Mark replaced mine back on early 2015 or late 2014. My first one would run HST all grains most of time but still too many failures. The new one ran flawlessly but only after extended breakin. I view it as the best small self defense gun anywhere and I have owned many. It is ridiculously accurate even at long distances, great trigger, low recoil and 8 rounds. I also own highly modified glock 26 which I also carry regularly when I don't need max conceal. I own the xr 45 as well. Awesome when it's runnin but still working thru few reminding kinks. It will run HST but only with insert place into the mag. The 45 is actually better shooter than the 9 in my view and will likely enter my carry rotation soon as it is almost at 100% reliable with about 600 rounds in.
Yes, from what I've read on here every gun seems to have its own personality. I just wish mine would run HST! With over 800 rds thru it, I don't expect HST to work in it ever.
One factor that will vary between owners is how they maintain their gun, which would affect performance. I clean mine with Gun Scrubber, lubricate it with CLP, and use LPS on the unlock block. It would be interesting to know others' cleaning methods and how it might affect performance.

I use EXACTLY the same cleaning regimen on all mine.

Mollie said:

Yes, from what I've read on here every gun seems to have its own personality. I just wish mine would run HST! With over 800 rds thru it, I don't expect HST to work in it ever.
One factor that will vary between owners is how they maintain their gun, which would affect performance. I clean mine with Gun Scrubber, lubricate it with CLP, and use LPS on the unlock block. It would be interesting to know others' cleaning methods and how it might affect performance.

Mollie, try Archoil 8300 grease on the unlock block and rails and barrel.  It's like putting ball bearings in it: smooooth!

Luke, does your XR9-S run HST?

Luke Gardner said:

Mollie said:

I haven't tried HST. I use Hornady Critical Duty for SD carry. I've only put one box through it to test (way too expensive to test with it frequently), but that ran through absolutely flawlessly and so too did the same ammo in .45ACP in my XR-45. My XR45 is still quite persnickety as far as its ammo diet.

Mollie said:

Luke, does your XR9-S run HST?

Luke Gardner said:

Mollie said:

Great information today from All of you.  Still shows how important this forum is to us.  I hope we stay together on this site for a long time.  I am awaiting repair from Bond on my XR9-S.  They are unsure when they will be ready to do repairs.  I have 700 rounds through my nine; and by following this list; I haven't had 1 failure involving ammunition.  I too follow the maint. that Luke & Mollie mention above.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MOST XR9 ORDERS SHIP WITHIN 2 WEEKS!

The Bond Arms Bullpup Coming soon!

Latest Activity

John s neska replied to Vern's discussion Bond XR9-L
5 hours ago
Luke Gardner replied to Vern's discussion Bond XR9-L
Sunday
Vern replied to Vern's discussion Bond XR9-L
Nov 18
Brian Hunt shared a profile on Facebook