I am awaiting my new XR9s from BAC and I'm trying to find confirmation that NY's crazy CoBIS law has been repealed effective 3/30/12?!?! Can any definitively confirm this?

For those that are unaware, CoBIS (Combined Ballistic Identification System) Is a program unique to New York State where all new firearms require 2 casings to be submitted to the CoBIS system for "fingerprinting" in the event a casing from a crime may match those of a CoBIS registered gun in the future.

One unofficial tally has In the 11 years of CoBIS existence,

# OF GUNS

MONEY SPENT IN MILLIONS
$45,333,333 +?

NUMBER OF POLICE HOURS WASTED*

Number of matches using CoBIS
2 cases
1 case was a misdemeanor and the other case was a stolen gun that has not yet been solved.

This is big brother government at it's best....

Views: 217

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok. I found my answer. Apparently, not only was CoBIS repealed when the NYS budget was signed but an anti-gun push to replace CoBIS with microstamping was also shelved.

I was reading about microstamping technology and how the tip of the firing pin has a unique code that is imprinted on every primer that is fired. California passed a law to require it in 2010 but it is now on hold... Geez, when are politicians going to realize that the LEGAL gun owners aren't the ones to worry about? The CoBIS experiment has proven that...

Now Arne can stop chasing casings for guns that he sells to NY!

You can Google the NYS CoBis Bill for verification. I no longer have the verification but it wasn't appealed it was part of another bill proposed and the CoBis portion was removed from it.  You may be confusing it with another law which requires two spent cartridges be sent to the NYS Police to keep for comparison.  The process supposedly cost about 1.2 million a year and for budget purposes it is to be halted I believe around August 2012.  You would need to verify this but I think I've pointed you to the correction direciton regarding your comments about CoBis.

Its dead.  I live in NYC so I can buy only only pistol every six months. As a result of some paperwork snafu I had to wait six months to pick up my XR9S. I just picked it up last week. The FFL has been holding it since Nov.  They saw the shell cases in the box and threw  them away before they handed me the gun. "You do not need these anymore" they said. The NYPD did not ask about the missing cases when I brought the gun in to be registered. Though the officer loved the gun and wanted me to come back when I had shot it and tell him all about it.

Why not come down to the Westside Rifle and Pistol Club?  We can talk there.

NYCNoob said:

Its dead.  I live in NYC so I can buy only only pistol every six months. As a result of some paperwork snafu I had to wait six months to pick up my XR9S. I just picked it up last week. The FFL has been holding it since Nov.  They saw the shell cases in the box and threw  them away before they handed me the gun. "You do not need these anymore" they said. The NYPD did not ask about the missing cases when I brought the gun in to be registered. Though the officer loved the gun and wanted me to come back when I had shot it and tell him all about it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MOST XR9 ORDERS SHIP WITHIN 2 WEEKS!

The Bond Arms Bullpup Coming soon!

Latest Activity

genji posted discussions
Jul 24

© 2017   Created by Blaine Glynn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service