I have the 45 and a number of us have reported live round ejections. I believe that this happens with the 9's also. My live round ejections are of the type where after a round is fired, the empty brass is ejected, a new round is successfully loaded in the chamber, and an additional live round is usually ejected clear, but occasionally stovepipes, preventing the slide from closing on the already chambered new round. I'm using Winchester white box 230 FMJ. I have not noticed any consistent pattern of this happening early or late in the mag stack.

Does anybody have any insights into the cause or cure for this problem? My best guess is that there is enough friction between the top two rounds in the mag that as the tongs strip the top round backward, the friction drags the next round down right back with it.. If that is the problem, the only solution that comes to mind would be lubing each round before loading. Anybody have any thoughts on this problem? Has anybody ever had a conversation with or a repair done by the factory for this problem?

Views: 1528

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

[T]he design of the XR45 magazine is different to allow use of the .460 Rowland cartridge.... It would be possible to manufacture XR45 magazines using the XR9 design, but that would preclude use of the .460 Rowland cartridges in those magazines.

If that's the case, I'd happily forgo the ability to shoot 460 Rowland in exchange for a bug free experience with 45 ACP. I'm guessing that I'm far from alone on that.

Early on I had shot HornadyCritical Duty from mine with no issues at all, then my last outing with it a few weeks back I tried to put another few mags of HCD through it and after every couple of shots, my mag was jarred loose and drop away from feed presentation. THAT ain't cool!

Same here.  That was always a bit of a wild idea, and from what I understand, testing showed pretty quickly that not only Rowland but also .45 SS was not going to work for any length of time.

Luke Gardner said:

[T]he design of the XR45 magazine is different to allow use of the .460 Rowland cartridge.... It would be possible to manufacture XR45 magazines using the XR9 design, but that would preclude use of the .460 Rowland cartridges in those magazines.

If that's the case, I'd happily forgo the ability to shoot 460 Rowland in exchange for a bug free experience with 45 ACP. I'm guessing that I'm far from alone on that.

through super slow motion video we were able to put our finger on the live round ejection issue, and stop it.

the issue was with the internal "fixed" extractor. this fixed extractor's "claw edge" was not properly contoured. thehe incorrect contour allowed the round that had pushed up into the two extractors to shake free from the grasp of the internal element.

when we re-contoured the fixed extractor, we were able to completely stop the live round ejections. this happened at the very tail end of our "corporate life". while we did begin to build pistols with the extractor issue fixed, not many went out that way.

when Bond starts building the XR's, they will have the improved fixed extractor, so the issue will not continue. replacing the insert block with a new one that has the modified fixed extractor will alleviate the problem in "boberg manufactured" pistols.

THAT SAID, typically we will see a pistol live round eject very early on in its "life". if you have a pistol that has never done this, chances are it never will. myself, i would still have the insert block swapped out.

i will try to link to one of the clips of the round getting ejected during the feed cycle. it was amazing how "in your face" the issue was once we got it on camera at 7,000 frames a second!

It's great to hear that there is a known solution.  So now the question becomes: how do we get our older XR45 fixed?  At this point, I can't even get Bond to answer requests for help; email and web form submissions get no answer, and a phone call gets a "we'll get back to you" then silence.

Thank you so much for your input. It amazing how a few minutes from you provided more insight than all the rest of us speculating for months.

Many of us .45 owners wonder when, and even if, Bond is going to do .45's For those of us who are pretty handy with small tools, might we be able to accomplish this re-contouring ourselves. Could you describe the nature of the re-contouring? Are there any photos available of what a property re-contoured part looks like?

In any case thanks again so much for your help. It's truly helpful that we loyal members of the Boberg tribe don't have to wander the wilderness completely alone.

Hi Mark: I have yet to reach out to Bond for anything, but I will on this issue as I was definitely still regularly getting live round kick outs, though I haven't shot the 45 in sometime now (couple of months) due to the annoyance factor of the problem. Do you have any sense at all when Bond will be up to speed on Boberg unit service?



Mark Dante said:

through super slow motion video we were able to put our finger on the live round ejection issue, and stop it.

the issue was with the internal "fixed" extractor. this fixed extractor's "claw edge" was not properly contoured. thehe incorrect contour allowed the round that had pushed up into the two extractors to shake free from the grasp of the internal element.

when we re-contoured the fixed extractor, we were able to completely stop the live round ejections. this happened at the very tail end of our "corporate life". while we did begin to build pistols with the extractor issue fixed, not many went out that way.

when Bond starts building the XR's, they will have the improved fixed extractor, so the issue will not continue. replacing the insert block with a new one that has the modified fixed extractor will alleviate the problem in "boberg manufactured" pistols.

THAT SAID, typically we will see a pistol live round eject very early on in its "life". if you have a pistol that has never done this, chances are it never will. myself, i would still have the insert block swapped out.

i will try to link to one of the clips of the round getting ejected during the feed cycle. it was amazing how "in your face" the issue was once we got it on camera at 7,000 frames a second!

I just want to throw out there that the word "recoil spring" is not applicable as to Bobergs. The skinny springs are in fact only slide return springs and that is all they are intended to do.



Artosa said:

Major, I believe now that with the pistol functioning optimally, there is no mechanism to mitigate slide velocity.  Is the pistol capable of +p and beyond?  Yes, but the unlock block, barrel and recoil spring only do so much and the recoil spring only feels like 6-8 lbs. with no buffer.  When my pistol was still rough, I believed it was capable of lower end .45 Super; now, the 30rds left of Xtreme Penetrator will have to go to the 1911 with a 22lb spring.

In other words, the frame isn't beefy enough to handle heavy loads on a consistent basis, IMHO. 

Put me on the list of folks interested in this.  I've had some live round ejections that left me wondering what happened to the last round until I see it on the ground  - except the time that it hit my head (a live round has a noticeably different feel bouncing off your head than an empty case).  

Art, I'm wondering about the term "last round". Do you know if it always, in fact, the last round, or is your symptom like mine where I load 6, fire 5, and find the gun is empty and the ejected round could have actually been any except the first of course?

My experience is that the LRE is the third or fourth round in the magazine.



Major Johnson said:

Art, I'm wondering about the term "last round". Do you know if it always, in fact, the last round, or is your symptom like mine where I load 6, fire 5, and find the gun is empty and the ejected round could have actually been any except the first of course?

Mine have been like yours, i.e., load 6, fire 5, and find the gun is empty .  IIRC, the ones that I noticed immediately were 3d or 4th rounds fired but there have been others where I don't know it has happened until I've fired the 5th and there is nothing left.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Blaine Glynn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service