I have the 45 and a number of us have reported live round ejections. I believe that this happens with the 9's also. My live round ejections are of the type where after a round is fired, the empty brass is ejected, a new round is successfully loaded in the chamber, and an additional live round is usually ejected clear, but occasionally stovepipes, preventing the slide from closing on the already chambered new round. I'm using Winchester white box 230 FMJ. I have not noticed any consistent pattern of this happening early or late in the mag stack.

Does anybody have any insights into the cause or cure for this problem? My best guess is that there is enough friction between the top two rounds in the mag that as the tongs strip the top round backward, the friction drags the next round down right back with it.. If that is the problem, the only solution that comes to mind would be lubing each round before loading. Anybody have any thoughts on this problem? Has anybody ever had a conversation with or a repair done by the factory for this problem?

Views: 1510

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The live round ejections disappeared about 100-150 rounds after I switched grease.  I went to Slipstream which smoothed out the action immensely.  Am now running Archoil AR8300 grease on all bearing surfaces, AR2400 (dry film WS2) on inside of mags and mechanicals in rear of slide.  I got rid of all dino oil for the Boberg, I don't think the film holds up to the pressures involved in the unlock block, and the moly isn't nano.  Me thinks with LPS there is "stutter" that creates havoc with the XR45 system.

For those using spacers in the mags, you may want to apply some oil to the sticks and let in soak in, then wipe off excess before using.  The oil keeps them from absorbing moisture and/or splitting.

Artosa, I know you were not trying to conduct a controlled experiment, but do you have a sense of which lube location(s) were key to ending the LRE's? I wonder in particular about the mag internals. Did you develop a good theory about what exactly is going on in an LRE?

Not just location, but the lube itself.  If Arne would have had access to Archoil or Slipstream, I believe the launch of the two XRs would have gone much smoother.  A lot fewer problems would have cropped up because the better lube gives a consistency to the operation that isn't there with LPS in the unlock block.  Based on how smooth the pistol is running, I'm rethinking about using +P without having access to a heavier recoil spring or some kind of buffer.

If the magazines are in good shape the problem is elsewhere.  There are timing issues involved, I believe and the mags aren't the culprit.  When there is a smooth consistent flow to the pistol, it works as intended.  When there is inconsistent flow, you'll have problems.  I used the word stutter before and the correct word might be "chatter".  That chatter (from the unlocking and initial movement) affects what comes after; pulling the round out and passing the round off from the tongs into the extractors when the lift plate is activated, in my .45 is the last eighth-inch of slide travel.  If that operation isn't consistent, there will be problems.

Look for the wear patterns on the front part of the slide, barrel and unlock block use grease there. 

Artosa, which Slipstream--the lubricant or the grease? Why did you switch to the Archoil?

Mollie, the grease, even for the rails until it works in to the metal.  The Archoil AR8300 grease is a blend of exotics that has the same lubricity of IF-WS 2 but is supposed to be attracted to heat and has a much greater load bearing ability.  Archoil also has several other interesting products.  They are open in what's in their products whereas Slipstream isn't.  Either grease is night and day above LPS.

Artosa,

Do you think the "stutter" that may be caused by the the LPS could apply as well to the XR9-S unlock block & internals?

Also, I have been able to get pricing on Archoil's AR4200 Nano WS2 Dry Film lubricant, but not on their AR2400 - They do look the same spec-wise, however.

Artosa said:

The live round ejections disappeared about 100-150 rounds after I switched grease.  I went to Slipstream which smoothed out the action immensely.  Am now running Archoil AR8300 grease on all bearing surfaces, AR2400 (dry film WS2) on inside of mags and mechanicals in rear of slide.  I got rid of all dino oil for the Boberg, I don't think the film holds up to the pressures involved in the unlock block, and the moly isn't nano.  Me thinks with LPS there is "stutter" that creates havoc with the XR45 system.

For those using spacers in the mags, you may want to apply some oil to the sticks and let in soak in, then wipe off excess before using.  The oil keeps them from absorbing moisture and/or splitting.

Bob, I've not even seen an XR9 in person, but they share the same internals.  AR4200 is Archoil's CLP.  If you wanted oil, that would be AR4400, the grease is AR8300.  Yes, I think it will make a noticeable difference, particularly after 100-150 rds.  Make sure to clean the areas thoroughly before applying if you choose to get it.

Any surface that touches the barrel should also get it, as well as the rails initially.  (AR8300)  Happy gun!

Artosa, with respect to the +P, are you suggesting that due to lower friction, parts are moving faster and you are concerned that +P may result in excessive battering? Could you elaborate?

Major, I believe now that with the pistol functioning optimally, there is no mechanism to mitigate slide velocity.  Is the pistol capable of +p and beyond?  Yes, but the unlock block, barrel and recoil spring only do so much and the recoil spring only feels like 6-8 lbs. with no buffer.  When my pistol was still rough, I believed it was capable of lower end .45 Super; now, the 30rds left of Xtreme Penetrator will have to go to the 1911 with a 22lb spring.

In other words, the frame isn't beefy enough to handle heavy loads on a consistent basis, IMHO. 

Artosa, so with your lubricant you think the the gun is more susceptible to damage? My understanding is that the gun was designed to handle the recoil without even needing a recoil spring--and the purpose of the spring is to return the slide, not to absorb recoil. This would be a good time for Arne to join the discussion, but I don't suppose that will happen.

I can't find AR2400. Did you mean AR4400? Or AR4200? Just curious--do you clean you Boberg with Gunscrubber?
Thanks.

Artosa said:

Mollie, I think the best way to insure reliability is to smooth things out,  I've only had experience with my XR45 so I'm no expert on these guns by any stretch.  It would be nice to have Arne weigh in, he's probably just shaking his head at my limited understanding of his mechanism.  Does anybody have a PX4 to compare the internals to?  While not the same, I'm curious how Beretta handles the rotating barrel and recoil.

AR2400 is the WS2 Industrial Dry Film Spray.  AR4200 is their CLP, (I haven't tried it).  AR4400 is the oil I will use when I feel the nano-ceramics from AR8300 have been absorbed into the metal.  I haven't tried Gunscrubber.  M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner is what I use for cleaning.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Blaine Glynn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service