Consolidated List of Popular Cleaning/Lube Products

Because of the success of the 'Compatible Ammo' discussion, I was requested to create a similar master discussion for Cleaning Agents/Lube Products.  This will minimize multiple threads and create a library of MUST READ discussions for any future newbies to the Boberg world.

Please note that the Boberg XR9 system is unique and requires different cleaning procedures - see the other discussions for more detailed info on cleaning procedures as this discussion focuses on cleaning products (but pay special attention to the area on the slide around the tongs).  The biggest difference with the Boberg system is the factory recommendation to use a molybdenum based anti-seize grease for the unlock block area.  This would be in addition to any CLP or solvent/lube combo that you choose.

Cleaning and lube products are constantly being improved and new discoveries (or experiences) can change the recommendations of what to use.  Just because "Brand X" lube is currently used by the factory doesn't mean that this will be used forever.  Feel free to check back periodically to see if there are any changes.

There are several hundred different brands of products on the market.  Just because the product is not on the list doesn't mean that you can't use it.  We are simply trying to keep the list manageable and useful.  To that end, if you have some obscure product that you use but is impossible to find, please don't ask for it to be put on the list.  This list is to help people with popular, easy to find products that work well with our Bobergs.  If a common product is used successfully by a lot of people but is missing from the list, please post it in this discussion and when there are enough people that support the product, I'll update the list.

I will not be posting links on where to buy the products because prices change and stores may be out of stock (plus it would be A LOT of work for me to keep updating links).  I DO RECOMMEND that if you have found a product at a cheap price, post it up and share your find!  The benefit of having a group forum like this is to help everyone with good deals or perhaps group buys in the future.

If you are new to Bobergs or guns in general and do not know the unique parts and oiling points for this innovative gun, please refer to your owner's manual or the discussion on Cleaning and Lube Instructions.

Solvents:

Factory:

GunScrubber

Popular:

Break-free Powder Blast

G96

Hoppes No. 9 Solvent

Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner

Oils:

Factory:

Uses CLP below

Popular:

Militec-1

Hoppes Elite Gun Oil

Moly/Graphite Anti-Seize Product (Barrel Lugs/Unlock Cam)

Factory:

LPS anti-seize Part No. #04110

Popular:

CRC

E.P.

Sta Lube

Sta Lube Anti-Seize Part No. SL3333

CLP:

Factory:

Break-free CLP

Popular:

EEZOX (smells good, maybe too good)

FrogLube

Slip2000 Extreme Weapons Lube

WeaponShield

Views: 9278

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That works.  You can also use "Stim-U-Dents" picks.  They're over the counter which dentists recommend for us.  They're flat on the sides, wide on one end and almost come to a sharp point on the opposite end.  Just wide and flat enough to use as an applicator for LPS.  Since the LPS jar is large, you can "tap-off" some globs into a prescription bottle and put it in your cleaning kit.

Mark Dante said:

we used something similar to a big baby syringe to apply the LPS for some time... loading it in from the top. now, since we are not hauling it around... it just sits on the bench... we have a glob of it in a container and apply with a toothpick!

I just reviewed the Owners Manual as linked to the Boberg Website. Lubrication pages 15-18 don't mention anything about

"here are the points that you will want to apply anti-seize to. LPS is the product i recommend, specifically "LPS ALL PURPOSE ANT-SEIZE" LPS makes many anti-seize products, ONLY the ALL PURPOSE anti-seize is suitable for this application."

Why is that? For those of us with early models the place we would come back to for abiding documents would be the Manufacturer's Website.

Dennis, just get yourself some LPS "Premium" All Purpose Anti-Seize (sans copper) Part No. 04108 1/2 lb. Red and White Jar, for about eight bucks plus shipping (online) rub it on and you'll feel much better.  BTW my first manual didn't mention anything about it either.  So I asked Arne what the best lube was.  He explained at that time that they stopped using the copper version. I didn't get LPS right away.  I used Stay-Lube anti-seize with graphite. I worked fine and then I switched to what our "Mentor" recommended.

Boy this lube forum is old.

Maybe I'm being too literal, but I need some clarification on the LPS lube. The special anti-seize instruction sheet that came with my brand new .45 says, "Use LPS all purpose anti-seize". That has been discussed extensively here and I get that. It also says "The anti-sieze MUST NOT contain copper, aluminum, nickle or any other metal additives." Yet the technical data sheet...

http://www.lpslabs.com/site_files/tech_downloads/TDS_04108.pdf)

... for the recommended product says "Its aluminum complex base grease..." So the Boberg instruction sheet says no aluminum and the TDS says contains aluminum. Is aluminum in the base somehow OK, while as an additive it is not? My head hurts.  Can I get a clarification from the factory?

MJ, It's a good question and after your observations should be directed to the gunsmith to resolve.  I believe LPS sans copper is the way to go.  As I mentioned above, I also used Sta-Lube which has a graphite additive or base.  I ran that past Arne and he didn't have a problem with me using it since it has Molyd in it.  Since it was designed as an anti-seize for car engines, it should work well with the innards of a hot-running Boberg. A tube of it cost around eight dollars at auto stores.  I gave a friend a tube for his Glock and I placed a small Rx bottle's worth at our cleaning bench at the range.  Apparently the Molyd is important but no copper.

GONRA sez:  Use MolyKote "G" paste MoS2 grease.

VERY HIGH concentration of "moly" - SO ITS  Pricey - NOT the usual crapola.....

Verks for all these stainless-rubbing-stainless etc. applications

(Aluminum-rubbing-wotever     too of course!) sliding surfaces - no galling....

if you are using LPS anti-seize, you should be using LPS All Purpose Anti-seize

this is the product we have used on the pistols since day 1.

That's a good question and I think that GONRA is on the right track.

Most anti-seize products are designed to prevent fretting corrosion (ie rust due to a galvanic reaction) between two metals that might prevent the removal of a threaded fastener or a press fit intended for occasional replacement (like a bearing pressed on a shaft). Galvanic reaction would eventually solidly join the two parts. For that purpose, aluminum powder (or copper or nickel powder) is added to a grease base and is very effective - as an anti-oxidant - but not especially good as a high pressure lubricant; the only lubrication qualities come from the grease, not the solid powder additive. But what the Boberg needs is not an anti-oxidant but rather an extreme pressure lubricant - to prevent galling of the barrel lug and the unlock block.

The LPS All Purpose Anti-seize does contain an aluminum complex base grease but in this case the aluminum complex is used to thicken oil into a grease base which acts as a carrier for a lubricant rather than a lubricant itself. The lubricating properties come from molybdenum disulfide which is actually a solid material mixed into the grease base. Molybdenum disulfide forms as a layered structure of small plates and has a high affinity for metal. The layer adjacent to a metal surface bonds to the surface and layer upon layer of small plates stack between other metal surfaces and slide across one another (with a very low coefficient of friction) which makes metal surfaces slide easily across each other without actually contacting each other. Graphite is similar to molybdenum disulfide in this regard which is why it's often used as a dry lubricant.

The key quality that the LPS anti-seize possesses is the lubrication quality of the molybdenum disulfide it contains - it prevents direct metal to metal contact and provides lubrication qualities that withstand high pressures. There are probably other products that would work as well, the key ingredient being molybdenum disulfide in high concentrations. LPS All Pusrpose Anti-Seize is just a (relatively) convenient product that provides the right lubrication properties.

Major Johnson said:

Maybe I'm being too literal, but I need some clarification on the LPS lube. The special anti-seize instruction sheet that came with my brand new .45 says, "Use LPS all purpose anti-seize". That has been discussed extensively here and I get that. It also says "The anti-sieze MUST NOT contain copper, aluminum, nickle or any other metal additives." Yet the technical data sheet...

http://www.lpslabs.com/site_files/tech_downloads/TDS_04108.pdf)

... for the recommended product says "Its aluminum complex base grease..." So the Boberg instruction sheet says no aluminum and the TDS says contains aluminum. Is aluminum in the base somehow OK, while as an additive it is not? My head hurts.  Can I get a clarification from the factory?

Sta-Lube....Molyd + Graphite....slippery little devil.

GONRA been beating MoS2 to death.  

Really appreciate James Reade's technical/knowledgeable MoS2 comments!!

Used Moly Kote "G" MoS2 PASTE on my stainless-on-stainless .44 Auto Mag decades

ago per Professional Lube Guy.

(LOOKS like MoS2 powder with just enuf liquid goo to make it a paste - highest possible MoS2 concentration.)

After blasting away a LOT with my prize winnng handloads, no wear or galling anywhere.

Back in those days, stainless-on-stainless galling was really to be feared.

Assume alloys / heat treatment has improved (a little) over the decades.

But need for First Class lube persists..... 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MOST XR9 ORDERS SHIP WITHIN 2 WEEKS!

The Bond Arms Bullpup Coming soon!

Latest Activity

John s neska replied to Vern's discussion Bond XR9-L
5 hours ago
Luke Gardner replied to Vern's discussion Bond XR9-L
Sunday
Vern replied to Vern's discussion Bond XR9-L
Nov 18
Brian Hunt shared a profile on Facebook