Well, I believe the horse still twitches, so I'm going to beat on it until it remains completely still...

Maybe its beyond the design's intended purpose, BUT 

How about a .357 SIG boberg? Would it be solving a non-existant problem? Could we fit more than 7 man-stoppers in such a gun? 

Is the SIG .357 a too obscure caliber to consider? 

Would it be better to first do a .40 cal, and then "neck down" the design, so the effort pays out twice?

Please share your views 

Views: 434

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The ability to swap out barrels and magazines to change calibers between .40 S&W and .357 SIG would be a huge plus.

I think I asked for this previously as well.  If there is an under served area in the market place, it's for a ultra compact single stack .357 Sig.  With the rear feeding magazines, I'm not sure if new magazines would even be necessary. 

I have been contemplating making a .40 S&W (XR40), which can be done with very little investment in tooling, since we can probably use the same grip panels as the XR9 - a savings of about $40K.  I wasn't sure how good the market was for a pocket .40, so I opted for the .45, but that is going to be expensive to launch.  Needless to say, if I build a .40, there will likely be a kit available for .357 Sig conversion.

I believe that in the long run, the 45 ACP will make a lot of waves, since that is "the" carry caliber to have. There are plenty of pocket 40's that more or less do. Pocket 45's on the other hand, well...unless Semmerling comes out of retirement, Ill say Boberg has the market cornered. Not even the vaunted XD-45 will be as tiny or shootable.

The XR45 will be a big deal, BUT the more tests I do on 45 from short barrels, the more I'm becoming skeptical of terminal performance.  Sure it works, but not as well as 40 or 357 Sig from similar length barrels.  Of course the XR45 will have a longer barrel than the XDs 3.3" length.  General feedback is that barrels of 4" or more is best for 45 performance.  Folks went nuts over this test.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2013/03/corbon-45-auto-p-185-gra...

I agree with Jose. I think going with .45 ACP was the smart move. That was the trend and Boberg had to follow it. And like Bruce said, typical 45 rounds tend to lose more velocity with shorter barrels. So this was the perfect opportunity for them to show off the higher muzzle velocities and lower recoil benefits of Arne's design. Also, .40 S&W models in this category have not sold well primarily because customers found them hard to handle.

That being said... If Arne were to offer an XR in .357 SIG or even .40 S&W with a .357 SIG barrel option, I would be one of the first to buy it!  I think that it could also show that a good subcompact single stack can be made in those calibers.

Wouldn't the bottleneck design of the .357 SIG also help eliminate the issue with the bullet being pulled out of the case in poorly crimped rounds?

Has anyone talked about a subcompact single stack using the 5.7x28mm round? I've heard it has low recoil. This might be a good round for older or smaller people if it could be made to fit.

Arne Boberg said:

I have been contemplating making a .40 S&W (XR40), which can be done with very little investment in tooling, since we can probably use the same grip panels as the XR9 - a savings of about $40K.  I wasn't sure how good the market was for a pocket .40, so I opted for the .45, but that is going to be expensive to launch.  Needless to say, if I build a .40, there will likely be a kit available for .357 Sig conversion.

This is all in limbo until the Bond Arms transition is complete.  Arne has been absent from Boberg for quite some time so development of new caliber offerings came to a standstill.  It would be pretty cool if Bond Arms brought Arne back as a Design and Engineering consultant to expand the XR line with additional calibers.  For a high velocity and low recoil option, this was previously posted.  I have no additional information beyond what is contained in the thread referenced below.  

http://community.bobergarms.com/forum/topics/22tcm-variant-rev22-bo...

Robert Forcier said:

I agree with Jose. I think going with .45 ACP was the smart move. That was the trend and Boberg had to follow it. And like Bruce said, typical 45 rounds tend to lose more velocity with shorter barrels. So this was the perfect opportunity for them to show off the higher muzzle velocities and lower recoil benefits of Arne's design. Also, .40 S&W models in this category have not sold well primarily because customers found them hard to handle.

That being said... If Arne were to offer an XR in .357 SIG or even .40 S&W with a .357 SIG barrel option, I would be one of the first to buy it!  I think that it could also show that a good subcompact single stack can be made in those calibers.

Wouldn't the bottleneck design of the .357 SIG also help eliminate the issue with the bullet being pulled out of the case in poorly crimped rounds?

Has anyone talked about a subcompact single stack using the 5.7x28mm round? I've heard it has low recoil. This might be a good round for older or smaller people if it could be made to fit.

Arne Boberg said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MOST XR9 ORDERS SHIP WITHIN 2 WEEKS!

The Bond Arms Bullpup Coming soon!

Latest Activity

© 2017   Created by Blaine Glynn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service