Has anyone tried to mount any sort of optic like a red dot or reflex sight on any Boberg? If so I'd love to know who did the work, what optic was used and how it turned out.

Views: 111

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I mounted a JP Jpoint red dot on my Boberg 45.  Works fine, but it’s higher than would be ideal.  I hand filed a JP adapter plate to fit the Boberg dovetail, and added a tall front blade so that I had a backup sight option.  The hard part is that the Boberg dovetail doesn’t match anything else, so you have to make your own. 

Thanks so much for the reply. This place has been pretty dead lately. I would so love to see pics if possible. I gather you did not alter the slide itself at all?

I must say that while Arne is a genius, and the design is overall genius, one of the two glaring design defects that should have been done better is for a pistol with a tiny market share, he should have just picked some industry standard like Glock or another and just bought standard sights for the factory and also this would allow us to easily swap sights at our own expense in the future.

Art, also which of the Jpoint adapters did you use? which has the right dimensions to be filed, 1911, Glock, Sig, etc.? Which of the 3 surfaces on the dovetail did you have to file? I presume it was 2 out of three, but which 2? Did you  do anything to anchor the front edge of the plate to the slide, or is it held only by the dovetail at the rear?

I'll get it out of the safe and take a pic to post when I get a chance.

I did this 2+ years ago, so my memory on the details is a fuzzy. I thought I had notes on which adapter I used, but I can't find them.  I do remember I tried 2 different adapters; on the first one, the dovetail wasn't wide enough, so I added JB Weld and then filed that.  It worked as a proof of concept, but I was worried that the JB Weld would eventually separate.  I then found an adapter that had a wider dovetail and used that, just filing it down to the correct size.. If you have access to a mill, or have this done by a gunsmith who has a mill, I think JP sells a "melt-in" adapter that could be used.

I got a 60 degree site file from Brownells and used that as the main work tool.  IIRC, I filed both sides to get the 60 degree angle and the correct width.  I might have filed the bottom to get the right depth, but I think that was pretty close so the work I remember was mostly filing the sides to get the angles and width correct,

There's more info on dovetail dimensions in this old thread but the notes I found say that the narrow part of the dovetail is ~.290, the wider part is ~.340 and the depth is ~.070.  If you want to make your own adapter, you will want to measure your own gun and once you get close to the right size, start test fitting each time you take off a little material.  You will want the fit to be as close as possible so that there is no wiggle in the fit.

You will also want to use set screws to hold it in place; the OEM sights have 5-44 x 1/8" set crews.  Also, be careful with the little spring that resides under the rear sites.

That's what I remember at this point.  I have a box of parts that might have more info that I will dig out when I get a chance and I'll let you know if I find or remember anything else thats relevant.

Art

Thanks for sharing. I'm pretty sure I'm going to follow your lead on this. I think this will make my XR 45 perfect. I agree with your comment regarding the diagram in the other thread. .052 is certainly not accurate for the dimension for the front to rear dimension of the top of the dove tail. When I get mine out of the safe, I'll take measurements and share here.

Here are some pics:

Thanks so much, Art. You did a beautiful job. It's so nice to see pics of an XR 45 that isnt mine. You must have some pretty good sized hands to want to thicken the backstrap even further with the grip tape.

So, bottom line, does the optic help with getting on target more quickly and accurately? At my age It's a a bit more difficult than it used to be to pick up the rear sight, front sight and target all at the same time, especially in the low light of a range. Much easier outdoors.

My hands aren’t huge, but they aren’t small.  The shape of the back of the grip wasn’t comfortable for me, so I re-profiled it by adding a spacer at the top that is held in place by the grip tape.  While It’s not an ideal grip, it works better for me than the stock grip.

The big advantage of the red dot (in my opinion, anyway) is that you can focus on it at the same time that you are focusing on the target.  As my eyes have gotten older, I find it increasingly difficult to see both the sights and the target with traditional sights.  The red dot removes that problem.  An additional benefit is that you don’t have to be perfectly aligned on the sights for the red dot to work.  I have a 1911 with a red dot, and I find it much easier to get a good sight picture with the red dot than with target sights.  Tru glo sites are better than target sights, but the red dot is still easier for me.  It does take some practice to get used to it, but once you have the knack, I think it’s easier, but not everyone agrees.  Oh, one other point: I’m told that if you have significant astigmatism, the dot may not work for you, because it might look Ike a fuzzy cloud instead of a clean dot.

I have every expectation that a red dot will work for me exactly as you suggest. While I have aimed one in a shop, unfortunately I have never had the opportunity to actually fire one.If it works well, I'll probably switch over to potics for my other pistols. I'm looking for a local range that has one for rental.Did you pick the j point because of the availability of numerous adapter plates or for other reasons?

BTW which reticle did you pick. Are you happy with your choice?

When I initially started using a red dot, I was looking for the best combination of reliability, size and cost.  The Trijicon red dots have a reputation for being the most robust, and if you want something for a carry gun that you depend on you might want to look at that (but it’s more expense and slightly larger).  You can even get Glock slides pre-cut for the Trijicon, which moves it closer to the barrel.  But for my use, the Jpoint was the best balance, and the ability to get drop-in adapters was a strong point. They are very robust, batteries last a long time and for the most part they work very well.  JP also has great customer service and is run by guys who are into shooting sports.

I have both the 4MOA dot and the circle dot.  Both are pretty easy to pick up quickly; I’m not sure that the circle does a lot for pistol use (Works better with a rifle), but it’s pretty easy to just ignore the circle and use the center dot.  I’ve heard some folks say that the 8MOA dot can be picked up quicker, but you lose some fine accuracy, so it depends on what you preference is.

Depending on what other guns you have, you might want to try a red dot on something that you can get a drop in adapter for and see how you like it before trying to hand-make an adapter for the Boberg.  And you can always move it to another gun.

Art, I really appreciate all your advice here. What I think I'm likely to do is buy the sight along with the adapter for my Glock then if I like it, find the right adapter for the Boberg.  I'll have to try the dot and circle next to the 8 MOA dot in a LGS that sells both. This is my primary carry/self defense pistol, and while I do like practicing my accuracy while target shooting, the ability to draw and get on target accurately under pressure in a self defense situation is the primary consideration. Do you recall which adapter worked for you? Was Jpoint able to provide dimensions for their various adapters so you could choose, or were you able to provide the dimensions you need and have them suggest which to buy? How did you make that choice?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MOST XR9 ORDERS SHIP WITHIN 2 WEEKS!

The Bond Arms Bullpup Coming soon!

Latest Activity

© 2018   Created by Blaine Glynn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service