I was offered an XDs so I could do a review.  I finished the review up yesterday.  It's a super pistol.

Blog Review

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2012/08/springfield-armory-xds-4...

Just the video:

Views: 1928

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To the best of my knowledge, they were all thrown to the side.  I didn't have anything come straight back at me.  The person that loaned me the pistol decided he could live without it so it's mine now.  That's great for me because I've already done a bunch of break in on it. 

The only ballistics measure to compare would be fpe and from my own experience and from talking with others it's not something you can learn much from as you cross calibers. 

James Lierman said:

Nice review Bruce. A comparison of ballistics with the XR9-S would be interesting.
The XDS reliability with various ammunition is terrific and impressive.
Were all shell casing thrown clear of you and at what angle?
Bruce, I have been a 1911 fan for many years and a .45 ACP believer.
My biggest concern with the XR9-S has been ejected shell casing hitting my forehead.
Reliability has been good, but like many pistol certain ammunition is unreliable.

Let me put it another way. If you could only have one or the other in a gun fight, which would you choose and why?

Thanks.
Jim

Hands down first choice would be old reliable, but she doesn't get carried much since she's difficult to hide.  Gen 2 Glock 23C that had just come back from refinishing and XS24/7 Night Sight install when the picture was taken.  I've lost track of round count, but do remember my single failure.  I had one FTF several years ago with MagTech Guardian Gold.  I shoot it "good enough".

Picking between the XR9-S and XDs?  This is probably going to be a real decision for me to make soon.  I'm leaning to Boberg at the moment because I can shoot it better than "good enough", and I can make it work in anything I happen to be wearing.  The XDs interests me greatly because it could be one of the most reliable smaller pistols over the long haul, but we won't know about the long haul for quite some time.

I have a .45acp XDs also and shoot only 230FMJ for play and Liberty Ultra 78gr for carry.  It is accurate and the recoil seems mild.  In my pocket, it feels as small as the Boberg XR9-L.  As far as velocity vs barrel length, I was surprised to see that my Bond arms 45LC got 100 fps less velocity than another gun with same ammo and barrel length.  Probably the condition of the bore makes more difference than barrel length in short barrel guns.  I'm just guessing from what I see on the barrel by the inch web site. 

I also like my Laserlyte V3 on the XDs.  In low light, I can't miss.  The laser is also great tool for honing draw and point skills.

At this point in my life, my eye sight is not what it used to be so I am looking for the largest caliber I can fit in my pocket with a laser mounted on it.  The Springfied XDs in 45acp will do very nicely until Arne comes along with something better.

I think you are losing velocity because in the XDS (100 ft/sec is a LOT with already slow-moving bullets) I'm guessing that Springfield is playing a game with the bore dimensions.  The tighter the bore, the more forward impulse you will get and hence the less recoil you get.  Having the bore less smooth will also do this, including material selection (some materials drag more).  It is possible that they oversized the bore (lots of leakage past the bullet), but I have found this to be less common in subcompact pistols - normally the groove diameter is at the bottom or below SAAMI spec.

Does someone out there have an inside micrometer to measure the land and groove diameter in an XDS barrel (either a .45 or 9mm) - from the muzzle end?

Having just got mine back from recall two weeks ago, I'm happy to oblige.  Does .446 and .442 sound about right?  I don't have an inside micrometer, so I used my dial caliper instead. 

It seems that you measured the land diameter.  The dial caliper is really only accurate to +/-.002".  I'm still curious what what groove diameter you get.

Actually, I wasn't that far off.  From the XD message board guys were saying .442 and .450-.451.  Black barrel so it was hard to see if I was 100% in the groove.  I thought I was, but came up with .446.

Arne Boberg said:

It seems that you measured the land diameter.  The dial caliper is really only accurate to +/-.002".  I'm still curious what what groove diameter you get.

I love the xr45-s, I have a question though, since i have very large hands and long fingers would that be a problem when handling this gun?

I'm afraid I won't be much help to you.  I never did get my XR45-S so I can't compare directly with the XDs.  The XDs does come with two different backstraps so the grip radius is somewhat adjustable.  

Clarence Brown Jr. said:

I love the xr45-s, I have a question though, since i have very large hands and long fingers would that be a problem when handling this gun?

I sold my XDS to buy a XR45.  Recoil and accuracy are about the same.  I prefer the Boberg over the XDS because I am not a big fan of plastic pistols.  When I was a kid, I always went for the die cast cap guns.

I went the other way when I figured out the XR45-L wasn't coming and got the XDs 3.3 and 4.0.  Plastic or not, I love the thin.

Christopher Oberg said:

I sold my XDS to buy a XR45.  Recoil and accuracy are about the same.  I prefer the Boberg over the XDS because I am not a big fan of plastic pistols.  When I was a kid, I always went for the die cast cap guns.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

MOST XR9 ORDERS SHIP WITHIN 2 WEEKS!

The Bond Arms Bullpup Coming soon!

Latest Activity

© 2017   Created by Blaine Glynn.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service